Monday, July 11, 2011

At least we can laugh


In our normal nightly ritual, my mother and I chatted on the phone for about an hour. It was really the first conversation we've had in the last few days that didn't have the "C" undertone and it really felt good. Sure, we talked about it a little bit, but with the shock of the diagnosis wearing off and the return to normal Monday work schedules, we had other things to discuss, like So You Think You Can Dance and the Casey Anthony trial. . .her strange neighbors that seem to have near death experiences daily. For example, last night her neighbors were setting fireworks off in their driveway. They were those little ground fireworks. The strange and deadly part was the fact that it was 12:30 in the morning AND small children were within two feet of the stupid things. This happens to be the same family that the old man goes and gets in the minivan and nearly runs over his other family members because he starts to drive the car without them all in it! The other day he pulled out of the driveway and just sat in the middle of the street until his wife (also older) hobbled her way down the driveway to get in the car. Yes, we find humor in strange things.

Our sense of humor has not been lost as we approach this unknown path. Oh no, we can still cut up.

The "C" topic did come up. My mom told me that a very good friend at work had a story for her about a woman . . . I interrupted, "You know mom, when people say they have a story you need to tell them that there is a rule that you will only listen to stories that have happy endings."

She said it was, and continued. She said that it was of a lady, that after all else failed, turned to "all natural" treatments and it cured her cancer. Now, while I'm sure there are cases out there where something like this worked, I think my mom is far from needing to seek out alternative medicine at this moment. Fortunately, we have for the most part been true believers in modern medicine, so it really wasn't anything to be concerned about.

My mother's response was, "Listen, I want chemicals. I want the most powerful chemicals they can pump into me!"

7 days and counting until she meets with a doctor at MD Anderson.

No biopsy results today. We are hoping to hear something tomorrow. If we do, I'll surely update.

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment